Learning from Nature: Bionic Tower
The M2 project aims to expand the knowledge of architecture students in tower design, with the objective of designing a residential tower. This tower will have to fight against adverse climates, high or low temperatures, wind and solar radiation. It should be based on an efficient design supported by learning from nature and bionic designs. The project involves different topics: form design, structural design, infrastructure, communication cores, with an emphasis on the search for sustainable solutions.
The seminaristic suplement will consist of a workshop involving an analog to digital approach: through dynamic experiments and physical mock-ups students will study and test multiple geometries looking for optimal geometries. This module will include: form-finding, parametric and structural studies.
- Understanding of tower constructions.
- Understanding of environmental factors and their effect on architecture: such as wind resistance, solar radiation.
- Understanding of designs based on the imitation of nature. Biomimetics.
- Composition and detailed design of a sustainable residential tower.
- Conducting experimental studies on tower design: dynamic experiments. Wind tunnel and parametric studies.
- Team work
- Project management
- Technical problem-solving.
Teaching methodology: Research-based learning
Participation criteria and registration: Grasshopper & Rhino basic knowledge
Number of participants: 16
Appointments: Tuesdays, 14:00 - 17:00
Place: Lehrstuhl für Tragkonstruktionen
Submission: 08.03.2022 at 14:00 o‘clock